Healthy crackers made with whole wheat and flax seeds meal. I just loved the way these turned out! Loved the nuttiness from the flax, whereas cheese and pepper made these extra delicious. I wanted to bake something similar to cream cracker as my hubby likes them and he wanted me to bake something like that. But I ended up with this recipe, it is not like cream cracker but it sure tastes great. Can be enjoyed with a dip or as it is.
- Whole wheat 3/4 cup
- Organic flax seeds meal 1/4 cup
- Cheddar cheese 25 g or 1 cheese cube (room temperature)
- Cold butter 2 tablespoon
- Milk 2-3 tablespoon approximately or a required
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper 1 teaspoon
- Mix the whole wheat flour, flax meal, Salt, pepper and sugar.
- Take butter and rub it to the flour mix till it resembles like sand. Add grated cheese to it and mix.
- Add a tablespoon of milk at a time to bring the dough together, do not knead. Form a soft dough.
- Keep it covered for 10 minutes. Roll it very thin between two butter paper or parchment sheet. Cut using a cookie cutter or with a knife. Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking tray and prick them with a fork. Pricking prevents the crackers to puff up while baking.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Use coarsely ground flax seeds, don’t grind it too fine. Flax will release it’s oil if ground too much.
- Do not over bake them. Keep an eye on them after 10 minutes.
- Time and temperature as per your oven.
- The time will depend upon the thickness of the cracker. Roll them thin for crispy crackers.
- Stays good for a week when stored in air right container.