Traditional milk buns made healthy with whole wheat flour. It is soft and mildly sweet with great texture. The combination of Tangzhong and egg makes this really soft.
Tangzhong or water roux is a technique which was originated in Japan for making soft and fluffy bread. The method involves the use of Tangzhong, which is one part of flour with five parts of liquid to form a smooth paste (generally water is used but here I have used a mixture of milk and water). Then it is heated in a saucepan, once the mixture starts to thicken you can remove from the heat. You can use it once it is cold. It can be refrigerated for 48 hours and can be used when required by bringing it to room temperature.
You can also have a look at Rose buns filled with cottage cheese and cherry compote, Jaggery Cinnamon roll, chicken salami stuffed pizza swirl bread.
- Water 5 tablespoon
- Milk 5 tablespoon
- Wheat flour 2 tablespoon
For the Dough
- Whole wheat flour 2 and 1/2 cups
- Sugar 1/4 cup
- Milk powder 1/4 cup
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Instant yeast 1 teaspoon
- Milk 3/4 cup approx
- Egg 1
- butter 2 tablespoon
- Olive oil 2 tablespoon
- Tangzhong preparations- mix water, milk and wheat flour till no lumps remain.
- Place it in a sauce pan over medium flame, stir constantly till it thickens and whisk line leaves the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the Tangzhong to a small bowl and allow it to cool down.
- Dough preparation- take the Tangzhong along with all the ingredients mentioned under Dough preparation except the butter and oil in a bowl. Combine them well and form a rough dough.
- Transfer it to a smooth surface and knead for about 10-12 minutes by the standard stretch and pull method. Knead till the dough bounces back.
- Add the butter and oil, knead for another 5 minutes. Keep the dough in an oiled bowl, cling wrap and allow it to proof.
- Deflate the dough, knead for a minute. Divide it into 8 equal portions and shape them into a ball.
- Place them on a greased baking dish, leaving a little space in between. Keep in a warm place covered with a wet cloth for the second rise.
- Brush with milk or egg wash and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Rub butter on the hot buns once out of the oven. Serve after 10 minutes.
- Time and temperature according to your oven.
- If you are new to baking, check out whole wheat flour bread recipe to know more details on the basics of bread baking.
- The buns can be cling wrapped well and stored in fridge for 3-4 days, Heat in microwave for 10-15 seconds before serving. The buns will be soft and fluffy just like freshly made!