Norwegian rice pudding or Risengrynsgrot is a traditional recipe prepared in Norweign homes during Christmas. White short grain rice simmered in milk until soft, tender and creamy for almost an hour. The pudding is flavored with nutmeg and vanilla. Finally garnishing with caramelized bananas and pistachios. Caramelized apples or any berry compote goes great with the pudding too. The pudding is very similar to the kheer or payash that we have in India.
When you want to prepare something very tasty and delicious for any party or special occasion then Norweign rice pudding will be the best option for you. The flavor combination of vanilla and nutmeg is what makes Norweign rice pudding delicious! Try this Norwegian rice pudding at your weekends and impress your family and friends.
- Full fat milk 750 millilitre
- Short grain rice (govindo bhog/arborio or any aromatic short grain rice can be used) 1/4 cup
- Sugar 4-5 tablespoon or as required
- Nutmeg powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Pure vanilla extract 3/4 teaspoon
- Salt a pinch
- Chopped pistachios 1/4 cup
- Caramelized banana slices as required
- Wash and soak the short grained rice for an hour.
- Take the milk in heavy bottom pan and bring it to boil. Add the rice and reduce the flame. Constant stirring will ensure that the milk with rice is not getting stuck to the pan. Simmer till the rice is cooked.
- Add sugar, salt and nutmeg powder, simmer for another 5 minutes .
- Turn off the flame and add vanilla extract. Give it a nice mix.
- Serve it warm garnishing with pistachios and caramelized bananas.
It tastes great when refrigerated and served cold as well, especially during summers.