After I made the whole wheat cake rusks I wanted to try the Italian biscotti which are very similar to the rusks. Here also they are twice baked but here it’s the biscuit which is baked twice and in cake rusk, strips of cakes are baked to form the rusk. In biscotti dried fruits, nuts and flavorings like cinnamon, nutmeg or fennel are used. Whatever it is, both are absolutely crispy and delicious and are perfect to dunk in your tea. Traditionally biscotti used no forms of fat or any liquid like milk but I have used just two tablespoon of butter here.
- Organic Whole wheat flour 1 and 1/4 cup
- Organic brown sugar 1/3 cup
- Eggs 2
- Butter or oil 2 tablespoon
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Pure vanilla extract 3/4 teaspoon
- Dried cranberries 1/3 cup
- Pistachios 1/4 cup
- Beat the butter with sugar till the mixture is creamy. You can use a whisk or a hand blender for this.
- Add one egg at time and mix well. No need to beat the eggs for a long time, just blend it for a minute.
- Add vanilla extract and nutmeg powder .
- Sieve the wheat flour with baking powder. To this add the chopped cranberries and pistachios. Then add the flour to the liquid mixture to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into two portions and shape them into a log with your hand.
- Place both the logs on a baking dish and bake in a preheated microwave convection oven at 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Take the logs out of the oven. When it cools down a bit, after 15 minutes slice the biscuits. Don’t slice them too thick if you want them to be crispy. Slice them in medium thickness.
- Place the cut slices of the biscuits on a parchment lined baking tray or a perforated pizza pan. I used the pizza pan which helped in baking from both sides without the need to flip it. In case you use a regular baking tray you will have to flip it half way and also turn the tray in case of baking in an OTG.
- Bake the biscuits at 160 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until nice and crisp.
- Cool the biscuits on wire rack and store in an airtight container. This will stay good for 20 days.