Thalapakatti Chicken Biryani Recipe is a very famous style of biryani from Dindigul region in the state of Tamil Nadu. This biryani is from a chain of restaurant with the same name. It is called “Thalappakatti”, which literally means the turban, the person who was founder wore a turban and that’s how the biriyani got its name. The biryani is highly flavorful and it is different because of the spice mix that is used to make this biryani.
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 3 Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3 black stone flower
- 1 Star anise
For the Biryani
- 1/2 kg Chicken
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 Onion , chopped
- 3 Green Chillies, slit
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Red chilli powder
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves , chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mint Leaves chopped
- 1-1/2 cup Water
- Salt, to taste
- Refined oil
- To begin making Thalapakatti Chicken Biryani Recipe, take the whole spices mentioned under biryani masala in blender and powder it coarsely. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add in onions and green chillies. Saute it till the onions are transclucent.
- Add the tomatoes and mix well. Add in ginger and garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add salt, turmeric, chilli powder, and coriander powder. Mix everything well.
- Add the ground biriyani masala and mix well. Add the chicken and saute well for 5 to 10 minutes or till the chicken is at least half way done.
- Meanwhile wash and soak the basmati rice for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pressure cooker, add one and half cup water. Cover and pressure cook for 1 whistle on high and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid once the pressure has released on its own
- Serve Thalapakatti Chicken Biryani with raita for a hearty Sunday meal.
- It is best made with seeraga samba rice which is a typical rice used for south Indian biryanis. Since I didn’t have that I used Basmati. If you have that variety of rice you can make use that for best results.
The recipe is adapted from yummytummyaarthi.com