Posto is poppy seeds and in Bengali cuisine it is one of the favorite ingredients used. Generally Posto is used with potato to make alu Posto which is quite popular. Posto can be made with variety of other vegetables, also with fish and meat. Here I have made this simple and delicious Posto recipe with onions. The recipe is with just a handful of ingredients. Caramelized onions with poppy seeds tastes absolutely divine. All you need is some steamed rice to enjoy this.
Don’t forget to check out my other Posto recipe alu pyaaz tomato Posto.
- Onions 4 large
- Nigella seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder a pinch
- Poppy seeds 3 tablespoon
- Green chilies 4
- Salt per taste
- sugar 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard oil
- To a Kadai add mustard oil and temper it with Nigella seeds. Once the fragrants add the chopped onions.
- Add salt, sugar and turmeric powder. Cook the onions till soft.
- Meanwhile dry grind the poppy seeds first. Then grind with green chillies and little water to form a nice paste.
- Once the onions are cooked add the poppy seeds paste and cook till the raw smell of poppy seeds disappear.
- Keep stirring in between to prevent the mixture sticking to the Kadai. If it dries up too much you can add little water
- Stir it often and cook till water evaporates and you can see the oil from the sides
- Drizzle mustard oil before turning off the flame for more authentic taste. Serve hot with hot rice.