A simple kheer made using grated pumpkin. In India we make kheer with so many vegetables, fruits, pulses, dry fruits and various grains too. And no festivity is complete without sweet. With Diwali around the corner I thought why not make a very simple Indian kheer for the occasion. Since festivals are always about celebrating and spending time with loved ones, enjoying home made sweet and savory items. Although in present times most people don’t have time to make these at home and they end up buying. But the feeling of home made goodies always makes the occasion special. So all you need is a recipe that is delicious and simple to make. Kaddu Ki kheer is the perfect and simple recipe to try out this festive season. With this dessert getting ready in a jiffy, giving you more time to enjoy with your family.
- Full cream milk 1/2 litre
- Grated pumpkin 1/2 cup
- Sugar 1/4 cup
- Cardamom 2
- Nutmeg powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Dry fruits 1/3 cup (cashew, raisins, pistachios and almonds)
- Ghee 2 tablespoon
- Grate the pumpkin and squeeze out the excess water from it.
- Take 2 tablespoon ghee in a non stick Kadai, add the dry fruits and fry for a minute and then add the grated pumpkin.
- Add 2 crushed cardamom pods and cook for 15 minutes till the raw smell of pumpkin is gone.
- Meanwhile in a heavy bottom sauce pan, bring milk to boil and allow it to thicken with constant stirring to prevent the milk sticking to the bottom.
- Add the cooked pumpkin to the milk, add in sugar and nutmeg powder. Stir everything well.
- Cook till it thickens. You can serve the kheer warm or refrigerate it and serve cold, either ways it tastes delicious!
- I have used the yellow variety of pumpkin which is already slightly sweet, if you use the green variety more sugar would be required.
- You can use saffron instead of nutmeg to flavor the kheer.
- Any dry fruits of your choice can be used.
- Khoya or mawa can be added for extra richness
Wishing everyone a Very Happy and Safe Diwali 😊 do try out the kheer and let me know. Happy cooking!