An ideal recipe to try and gift this festive season apart from the regular Christmas fruit cake. I made these Christmas trees with whole wheat flour, filled with dried fruits, nuts, desiccated coconut, caramel and flavored with nutmeg. Kids would love these Christmassy treats.
Click here for the video recipe.
Have a look at my other stuffed buns Recipe here.
Christmas tree preparation
- Whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cup
- Semolina 1/4 cup
- Milk powder 1/4 cup
- Instant yeast 3/4 teaspoon
- Sugar 2 tablespoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil 2 tablespoon
- Warm milk and water (1:1) 1 cup
- Salted caramel 2 tablespoon
- Roughly chopped mixed fruits and nuts 1 cup
- Desiccated coconut 1/4 cup
- Nutmeg powder 1/4 teaspoon
- In a deep bowl take the wheat flour, semolina, milk powder, sugar and yeast. To this slowly add the water-milk solution and mix to form a soft dough. Finally add salt and a tablespoon of oil to the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and start kneading by stretching and pulling. Add rest of the oil while kneading.
- Knead for about 12-15 minutes till the dough bounces back.
- Keep the dough in a well oiled deep bowl and cling wrap it. Keep it aside for the first proofing.
- Once it doubles in size take the dough on the counter, punch out all the air.
For the filling
- Take mixed dried fruits, desiccated coconut, nutmeg powder and salted caramel in a bowl. Mix them well.
Rolling and shaping the Christmas trees
- The recipe makes 10 medium sized Christmas trees. Divide the dough into 2 portions. Roll the dough with a rolling pin. You need to make two types of triangles with a cookie cutter, one full triangle and the other triangle with stem.
- Place the filling on the triangle with stem and cover with the triangle. Press the edges with a fork to seal and make slashes on the surface for the Christmas tree like appearance.
- In the same way prepare all the Christmas trees. Place on a baking tray and over with damp cloth for the second rise.
- Brush with milk and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
- Take it out before 5 minutes, brush it with milk and bake again for a lovely brown crust.Take the Christmas trees out of the oven and rub some butter.
Enjoy it warm or tie ribbons and gift to your loved ones this Christmas 😊
Click here for the video recipe for better understanding.