An organic whole wheat beetroot bread flavored with garlic, rosemary and basil infused olive oil. It is beautifully flavored and textured bread. Beetroot adds a nice sweet taste that blends so well with garlic, rosemary and the basil oil. It looks so pretty too! The colour is natural from beetroot. It goes great with a little butter or cheese.
I keep my fresh Italian basil in olive oil and refrigerate it, that’s how I got my basil infused olive oil. Basil can be stored this way for months and it can be used in variety of dishes as and when required. Plus the oil gets the flavor of basil infused which can be used in cooking. I found this method a great one to store fresh basil because it’s hard to find Italian basil in local market.
Check the recipe of carrot bread
- Beetroot, 1 medium, grated
- Whole wheat, 2 cups
- semolina 1/4 cup
- Milk powder 2 tablespoon
- Instant yeast 3/4 teaspoon
- sugar 1 tablespoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Dried rosemary 1 teaspoon
- Garlic, 4 clove, grated
- Basil infused olive oil 2 tablespoon
- Warm water and milk (ratio of 1:1) 1/2 cup
- To the wheat flour, add semolina, milk powder, sugar, yeast, grated beetroot, garlic and rosemary. Slowly add half the quantity of water and milk to form a rough dough. The beetroot will give out water so don’t add too much water.
- Leave this for 10-15 minutes so that beetroot releases water.
- After 15 minutes, form a dough and if required use rest of the water and add salt. The dough will be slightly sticky, once it’s kneaded it will be become smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and Knead it for 12-15 minutes till it bounces back. Add the basil infused olive oil and knead for few minutes.
- Keep the dough in a well oiled deep bowl and cling wrap it. Keep it aside for the first proofing.
- Once it doubles in size take the dough on the counter, punch out all the air.
- Roll it out into a rectangle with a rolling pin. Then roll it in tight without leaving gap and seam the sides. Roll it till the end and seam the bottom. Seam it well so that it doesn’t open up during baking.
- Now keep the dough in a well oiled bread tin. Cling wrap it for the second proofing. I didn’t use a bread tin here, I just made a log and placed on a baking tray
- Brush the top of the dough with milk to prevent it from drying up while baking.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes. Bake it according to your oven.
- Once it is baked, take out the bread rub some butter on the crust to make it soft.
- Transfer the bread on to a wire rack within 2 minutes of taking the bread out. If you keep the bread longer in the tin it gets soggy.
- Let it cool down a bit before slicing.
- The bread can be cling wrapped well and stored in fridge for 3-4 days.
- Be careful with the amount of water you use because beetroot gives out water.
- If you are a beginner in bread baking you can check my Whole wheat bread recipe for more details.