Easy Homemade Eggless Bourbon biscuit recipe that tastes just like the store brought biscuit! And if you want a healthy recipe for it with readily available ingredients in your pantry then check this recipe right away, I promise you won regret!
Did you know Bourbon biscuits are the most popular British tea biscuit recipe? I do not know about Britain but it sure is very popular in India.
I wanted to bake eggless bourbon biscuits at home for a really long time. It’s my husband’s favorite biscuit and he had been telling me to bake. I used to love it as a kid but now I’m not really fond of it for I find it too sweet for my liking. However, when you bake it at home you can control the amount of sugar that goes in. The best part of baking at home is that you know what ingredients are going in, isn’t it?
Though I do not like buttercream, I gave in to my hubby’s request and baked bourbon biscuit which turned out to be his favorite biscuit recipe from the blog!
We don’t buy biscuits as I bake it all at home, so my 3-year-old son never got a chance to taste bourbon biscuits. He absolutely loved these! I guess all kids love chocolate cream biscuits and I’m happy these can be baked very well at home without preservatives and other chemicals. Try this easy chocolate biscuit recipe for your kids and I’m sure they would no longer ask for store ones 😊
Some more store type and easy biscuit recipe for kids
Bourbon biscuits Ingredients
Whole wheat flour is used here instead of all purpose flour. You wouldn’t know the difference and it is way healthy!
Since Bourbon biscuit falls in the shortbread biscuits category butter is an important component. Salted butter is used here. If you use unsalted butter add a pinch of salt in the recipe.
Good quality cocoa powder is a must! I have used natural cocoa powder here. You can use Dutch-process as well. Although, if you like stronger flavor always go for natural.
I always prefer to use organic cane sugar as a sweetener. It is way healthier than regular refined sugar, its texture and taste make it a good addition in baking.
Important step in Eggless Bourbon biscuit making
How to cream butter and sugar?
Creaming of butter and sugar is blending both well until it is fluffy and well combined. Creaming helps to give biscuits its structure which gives your biscuits great texture.
For the creaming process, the butter should be at room temperature. Use a hand blender at the lowest speed to beat the butter and sugar till it doubles up in volume and forms soft peaks. In this recipe, it takes about 2-2.5 minutes. Make sure not to overbeat the butter as it begins to separate.
Is baking powder necessary for baking Eggless Bourbon biscuits?
No, we do not require baking powder to bake most biscuits. This is a question that I get asked very often!
Creaming helps in leavening the biscuits and cookies. If done properly you won’t miss baking powder in your homebaked biscuits.
How to make bourbon biscuit at home?
Eggless whole wheat Bourbon Biscuit
- 100 g whole wheat flour (3/4 cup)
- 50 g butter -room temperature (1/4 cup)
- 25 g cococa powder (3 tablespooon)
- 30-40 g cane sugar (1/4cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 25 g butter -room temperature (1/8cup)
- 15 g cocoa powder (1.5 tablespoons)
- 50 g cane sugar -powdered
- 5 g milk powder (optional)
- 5 g dark chocolate
Preparation of chocolate biscuit
- First, Cream the butter and sugar till nice and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Next, Sift the cocoa powder and whole wheat flour.
- Add the dry ingrdients to the creamed butter and sugar. Add a teaspoon or two of milk if it is too dry to form the dough. Do not knead the dough just bring it all together.
- Cover and keep the dough for half an hour. In case your dough becomes too sticky you can refrigerate for half an hour so that it can be easily handled.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree celcius.
- Take half portion of the dough and roll it to 1/8 inch thickness inbetween two parchment paper.
- Cut out rectangles and use a skewer make indents on the top.
- Place the biscuits on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet. Sprinkle some sugar granules on each biscuit to give that store bought look.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Do not over bake, it will be soft and harden on cooling. Keep on the wire rack for further cooling.
Preparation of chocolate butter cream
- Use a hand blender or a wire whisk to cream the butter and sugar till creamy.
- Add cocoa powder and milk powder, mix it well. Finally add the melted chocolate and give it a stir.
- The cream would be soft but it would set at room temperature.
Filling bourbon biscuits with chocolate butter cream
- Once the biscuits have cooled down, sandwich 2 biscuits together with the filling (I had different sizes so I had to literally match 2 same biscuits for the sandwich).
- Prepare all the bourbon biscuit in the same way. Keep it for few hours for the cream to harden and then you can enjoy!Store them in an airtight container and it should stay good for a week.
- If you don’t want to use cane sugar you may replace it with regular sugar.
- You may increase or decrease the amount of sugar in your biscuits based on your liking. I have used 40g and it was perfect for me. The buttercream also has sugar so you have to use the sugar accordingly.
- Butter should be at room temperature which is very important for the creaming process as that would give a good texture to the biscuits.
Nothing makes me happier than seeing your creations 🙂 when you try out the recipe do share your pictures with me on social media. Also, take a few minutes to rate the recipe and leave your feedback in the comment section below. That would keep me motivated to create more useful contents for you 🙂 Thank you very much. Happy Baking!