I have made whole wheat coffee caramel coconut flower buns a delicious and healthy snack or could also serve as a quick breakfast. The buns are super soft and the flavors of coffee and coconut along with the caramel has blended so well. Roasted peanuts in the filling gives a nice crunch in every bite. The flower shape of the bun makes this very appealing and it’s pretty easy to make too with step by step pictures provided in the method.
The main flavor here is provided by the coffee. The Leo breakfast blend coffee is really strong and highly aromatic. This is one of the best filter coffee that I have tasted. The aroma is perfect and it takes me back to the Chennai days when this used to be smell that I woke up to every morning. The whiff of filter coffee from my neighbor’s house, totally divine. That was all needed to pep up in the morning.
Do check my other recipe for the Belly nirvana campaign gooey cappuccino banana flour brownies. Have a look at my other bun recipes rose bun filled with cottage cheese and cherry compote, whole wheat milk buns.
For the dough
- Whole wheat flour 200 g
- Semolina 25 g
- Milk powder 10 g
- Cane Sugar 2 tablespoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Instant yeast 3/4 teaspoon
- Warm milk and water 3/4 cup approx
- Olive oil 2 tablespoon
For the coffee coconut caramel filling
- Leo breakfast blend Coffee decoction 2 tablespoon
- Cane sugar 1/2 cup
- Butter 2 tablespoon
- Fresh cream 1/4 cup
- Desiccated coconut 1/3 cup
- Roasted peanuts 1/4 cup
Coffee coconut caramel filling:
- Take cane sugar in a heavy bottomed pan on a medium flame with constant stirring. The sugar will form lumps and will eventually turn into amber color liquid. Once the sugar melts Immediately add the butter. Use a whisk to mix as the mixture will splutter. The whisk will help in even mixing.
- After the butter melts slowly add the cream with constant stirring. Care has to be taken because the mixture will splutter a lot.
- Bring it to boil for a minute. Add desiccated coconut and roasted peanuts, mix everything well and bring them all together. Finally add the coffee decotion, give it a stir and turn off flame. Cool down before using.
For the bread:
- In a deep bowl take the wheat flour, semolina, milk powder, sugar and yeast. To this slowly add the water-milk solution and mix to form a soft dough. Finally add salt and a tablespoon of oil to the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and start kneading by stretching and pulling. Add rest of the oil while kneading.
- Knead for about 12-15 minutes till the dough bounces back.
- Keep the dough in a well oiled deep bowl and cling wrap it. Keep it aside for the first proofing.
- Once it doubles in size take the dough on the counter, punch out all the air.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts, each weighing approximately 70-80g.
- 1) Roll the dough with a rolling pin. 2) Take spoonful of the filling and place it slightly above the diameter. 3) Cover the filling from the top and firmly seal the filling within. Just below the folding cut longitudinal slits with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. 4) Take a strip, give it a twist and place it over the folded portion. 5) In the same way fold all the strips. 6) Join both the ends upward to form the flower.
- Place the buns on the baking dish, cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap it for the second rise.
- Brush with milk and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes.
- Take it out before 5 minutes, brush it with milk and bake again for a lovely brown crust.
- Take the buns out of the oven and rub some butter.
- Enjoy it warm with some Leo breakfast blend coffee in this cute ceramic tea pot cup set.