The post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy.
Rich, chocolatey, and moist easy eggless Chocolate banana bread recipe is sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings. A very healthy chocolate banana bread recipe without any refined flour or refined sugar.
I have been meaning to try baking eggless banana bread for quite some time now and I finally tried it out. I freak out when it comes to eggless cakes as I have had numerous bad experiments. Here I failed a couple of times too but I was bent on making it perfect so I tried a couple of times more and got it right. The recipe of Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread is absolutely moist and super delicious just like the Eggless peanut butter banana brownies that I made last year.
I have sprinkled the chocolate banana bread with some sea salt when it was just out of the oven and that has upped the taste of the loaf. You can skip it if you like. You can pour in some chocolate ganache or salted caramel to make it an indulging dessert.
Can also be eaten at midnight with a scoop of vanilla ice cream 😀
Ingredients to make healthy chocolate banana bread
Recipe is made with whole wheat flour. Certain things to keep in mind when baking with whole wheat flour as it can make your cake very dense and also here we aren’t using eggs so you have got to be extra careful in doing the prep.
The most important thing here is to aerate the flour to get a good texture. That is done by sieving the flour with baking soda and baking powder at least 4-5 times or more. Do not skip this step!
Powdered jaggery is used here. You can use any form of sweetner like cane sugar, granulated sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, etc. The quantity will depend upon the sweetness of your bananas and also as per your liking.
The recipe here is just the right amount of sweetness.
Cold-pressed coconut oil is used here. You can use butter, any form of nut butter, any other flavorless oil can be used. The use of coconut oil has added a coconuty flavor to the loaf which goes great with banana and chocolate.
Use the ripest and the bananas with many brown spots. The more ripe the better the taste of banana bread. The bananas give flavour as well as the softness and moistness to the bread.
Natural unsweetened cocoa powder is used here. You can also use dutch process cocoa powder which will give your bread a rich dark colour.
Hazelnuts are quite nutritious but good quality hazelnuts are hard to find in India. If you happen to source good quality hazelnuts you can use in this recipe, it’s a superb combination of chocolate, banana and hazelnut. Else you can use walnuts, almonds , cashewnuts anything that you find is amazing too.
If you like it more chocolatey addition of chocolate chips or chocolate chunks is great.
Cinnamon is a great flavour addition to the banana bread. You can use vanilla, nutmeg, clove or all spice powder as well.
If you love bananas check out these recipes
It's always great to have some ripe bananas at home at all times! it's so versatile we can include them in our diet in so many ways and it is great for our health too.. so it is totally win win!
How to store chocolate banana bread?
Banana bread stores well at room temperature for a couple of days. After that it is better to keep it in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Microwave for 10 seconds and your slice will be soft, moist and amazing!
Banana bread stores very well in the freeze for about 3 months. Store it in a zip lock bag and keep in freezer. When you wish to consume thaw it for sometime and microwave it for 30 seconds and the bread will be as good as fresh!
How To Make Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
- 124 g whole wheat flour 1 cup
- 150 g (without skin) Ripened mashed bananas (2 medium to large)
- 70 g jaggery 1/3cup
- 102 g yoghurt 1/2cup
- 50 g cold pressed coconut oil 1/4cup
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 20 g cocoa powder 1/4cup
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree celcius. Grease a medium sized loaf tin (8×2.5inch) or line it with parchment paper and keep it aside.
- Seive the whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder 4-5 times.
- In a large bowl mash the ripe bananas with a fork and keep aside.
- Next, in a small bowl whisk the yougurt and jaggery till the jagerry has dissolved and mixture is smooth. Add this to the mashed ripe bananas.
- Then, add coconut oil and stir the liquid ingredients well.
- Finally add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix everything well with a spatula. Add the hazelnuts and give it all a final stir. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin. Sprinle some hazelnuts on the top of the bread.
- Bake the bread for 30-40 minutes or until the skeewer comes out clean.
- Let the chocolate banana bread come to room temperature before slicing it.
- Do not skip sieving of the dry ingredients.
- Any sweetener of the same quantity can be used instead of jaggery.
- To make it vegan replace the yogurt with any nut milk or soy milk.
- You can use chocolate chips to make it more decadent. You can use any nuts or dried fruits of your choice.
- Check the time and temperature for baking as per your oven.
Nothing makes me happier than seeing your creations 🙂 when you try out the recipe do share your pictures with me on social media. Also, take a few minutes to rate the recipe and leave your feedback in the comment section below. That would keep me motivated to create more useful content for you 🙂 Thank you very much. Happy Baking! 🙂