An easy whole wheat healthy berry banana bread recipe that gets its sweetness from the bananas and tanginess from cranberries and blueberries.
In this detailed recipe learn to make soft, moist, and delicious healthy berry banana bread.
Providing with various alternatives that can be used for an egg-less and vegan version.
Healthy berry banana bread makes a
- Great healthy snacks for kids at school
- Healthy after school snacks
- A quick healthy breakfast option for those early morning rush
- Perfect for evening tea time.
Looking for Some more easy and kids friendly banana recipes to try? Check the following recipes.
Ingredients to make healthy berry banana bread
Healthy banana bread is made with whole wheat flour.
U can replace it with a combination of wheat and oats or millet flour of the same quantity in the recipe.
Cane sugar is used as a sweetener here.
I have tried the recipe with powdered jaggery which works very well as a substitute for sugar in banana bread. Brown sugar or any sweetener of your choice can also be used.
Butter is used as fat here. You can substitute oil for butter in banana bread. Coconut oil is healthy and works very well. Any flavouless oil can be used.
Use the ripest and darkest banana for the berry banana bread recipe. The more ripe the better the taste of the banana bread. The ripe bananas give your bread the basic flavor and also makes it soft and moist.
Eggs are used in the recipe to add moisture and also for a great texture.
For an egg-less banana bread you can used yogurt.
For vegan banana bread use one more banana (check the recipe card for measurements).
Milk is used to adjust the batter consistency.
For vegan berry banana bread use soy, almond or coconut milk.
You can use fresh blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, or even raspberries as per the availability. That will make the banana berry bread utterly delicious. Even frozen fresh berries can also be used. Hence you can make this super quick bread recipe all around the year.
Healthy Berry Banana Bread Recipe
- hand blender
- 124 g Whole wheat flour (1 cup)
- 80 g cane sugar (1/3 cup)
- 40 g butter (3 tablespoon)
- 75 g banana 1 medium banana weighed without skin
- 86 g eggs 2 medium sized eggs
- 50 g milk (1/4 cup)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dried bluberries
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- First, seive the whole wheat flourand baking powder a couple of times.
- Next, beat the eggs till light and fluffy. Keep it aside.
- Then take mashed bananas and soft butter in a bowl and blend it well.
- Next add vanilla extract and sugar to the above and mix well. Then add milk and mix.
- Now alternatively add whole wheat flour and beaten eggs to the butter sugar mixture. Form the batter with cut and fold method until well combined.
- Scoop out the batter into a parchment lined medium sized loaf tin (8×2.5inch). Tap it gently to level the batter. Add rest of the berries on the top.
- Bake the berry banana bread in a preheated oven at 180 degree celcius for 30-40 minutes or until the skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let the banana bread come to room temperature before slicing it.
- For eggless berry banana bread use 86g of yogurt with 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.
- For vegan berry banana bread use 1 more medium-sized banana, 40g of nut butter or coconut oil, and 86g of nut or soy milk. Increase the baking powder to 3/4 teaspoon.
- You can use fresh, dried, or frozen berries.
- Use the quantity of sweetener as per your taste.
- Check the time and temperature of baking as per your oven.
How to make berry banana bread
Sifting whole wheat flour
Sieving whole wheat flour/any flour with baking powder a couple of times ensures even mixing and it also helps in aeration which results in a fluffy and less dense cake. Do not skip this step.
While sifting the whole wheat flour return the husk caught in the sieve back into the flour every-time you sift it.
Beat the eggs with a hand blender for about a minute until the egg whites and yellow have mixed well and you get a light frothy mix. Hand whisk can be used as well.
Beating the eggs well ensures good texture and rise in the cake.
Mix butter banana sugar
Mash the bananas well with a fork until no lump remains.
Add soft butter, cane sugar, vanilla extract and blend it well. Use a good quality Vanilla extract. You can also use nutmeg or cinnamon instead of vanilla if you like.
Next add milk to the batter and mix well.
Add whole wheat flour and eggs alternatively to the liquid ingredients. Using a spatula fold the flour into the batter using cut and fold method.
Add half the quantity of the berries while folding the batter.
You shouldn’t over-mix banana bread batter because over-mixing will lead to dense and chewy loaf and not soft and moist like you expect it to be. So always mix until everything is well incorporated.
The cake batter is of thick consistency and you will need to scoop it into the baking dish.
Baking and storing
Scoop the batter onto a parchment lined baking tray. Throw in rest of the berries.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35-40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow the cake to remain in the cake tin for 5 minutes before transferring it to the cooling rack for further cooling.
Allow the cake to come down to room temperature before slicing.
Store berry banana bread in an airtight container. It stays fresh at room temperature for a day in a humid region. Cling wrap and refrigerate it to retain its moistness.
Slice the cake only before consuming it. Microwave for few seconds before eating and it will become as good as your freshly baked slice!
CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST
Nothing makes me happier than seeing your creations 🙂 when you try out the recipe do share your pictures with me on social media. Also, take a few minutes to rate the recipe and leave your feedback in the comment section below. That would keep me motivated to create more useful content for you 🙂 Thank you very much. Happy Baking! 🙂