Butter biscuits were my childhood favorite. It was so addictive that I could keep eating them. Butter biscuits were regular biscuits along with Marie and cream cracker back home in Chennai. You can find the recipe of cream crackers here. Dunking them in tea used to make it extra delicious. Though I never used to drink tea (I still don’t) but I always took some tea from my mum’s cup to dunk these biscuits. Butter biscuits are close to every Madras makkal (common people).
The butter biscuits are crispy, melt in mouth with delicious buttery taste. Every bite is nostalgic and takes me back in time.
How I made Madras Tea shop style butter biscuits
You only need wheat flour, butter, sugar and some good quality vanilla extract.
I have made two versions of this, one with whole wheat, the other with combination of whole wheat and Jowar flour. Both taste equally delicious and no less in taste than the original tea shop butter biscuits which are made with refined flour.
Check out the other healthy favourite cookie recipes
How to make Madras tea shop style butter biscuits
- Wheat flour 122g (1 cup)
- Cane sugar 50g (1/3 cup) check notes
- Butter 100g (1/2 cup) at room temperature
- Pure vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt a pinch
Note- The exact measurements are in grams. I get a lot of query regarding gm to cup conversion hence I have given an approximate cup measurements in bracket.
- Cream butter and sugar till its nice and creamy. Creaming is an important step for cookies to get a beautiful texture and flavor.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the flour in batches to form a soft dough.
- Cling wrap and refrigerate it for Atleast 1 hour. Refrigeration helps in enhancing the flavor.
- Take it out and keep in the counter till it thaws.
- Roll it in between parchment/butter paper/baking sheet.
- Roll it to 1/2 inch thickness, cut with cookie cutter and place on a baking tray.
- Keep the tray in fridge for 15 minutes for the biscuits to firm up before popping them up in the oven.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10-15 minutes. Do not over bake them.
- The cookies will be soft, will harden on cooling.
- Transfer to wire rack for complete cooling and store in air tight container. Can be stored for 15 days.
- Baking time and temperature as per your oven.
- You can even roll it in a log, cling wrap and keep in fridge. Then cut 1/2 inch thickness cookies and bake.
- The amount of sugar can range between 50-60g depending on your liking.
- If you are using the recipe in combination with sorghum flour use 90g wheat flour and 30g sorghum flour.