The post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy.
A certain familiar smell and you suddenly remember a part of your childhood. The smell of the orange cream takes me back to my childhood days.
With this easy recipe now you can make orange cream biscuits at home which are way healthier than the store-bought ones.
Looking for more healthy biscuit recipes. Do check out
The orange cream biscuits require only a handful of easily available ingredients in the pantry. I wanted to bake orange sandwich cookies for a very long time but I couldn’t get the exact flavor. Finally, I found the perfect aroma and flavor from Ossoro’s Brazilian orange extract which has an absolutely refreshing flavour. This post is not sponsored by Ossoro, I’m only sharing my experience of using this extract and I totally recommend it. In case you like some other brand’s orange extract you can use that. Here orange zest or orange won’t work. Since I have used whole wheat flour which has a smell of its own the orange zest alone isn’t sufficient to add flavour. You can add orange zest to your buttercream filling if you like.
How to use orange essence?
Use only a few drops, as the essence is highly concentrated. Only a few drops are enough to give that fantastic flavour and aroma of orange.
I keep getting queries regarding what essence I use so I thought of sharing here, as the essence is an essential part of this recipe.
How to make orange cream biscuits/sandwich cookies at home?
Orange cream sandwich cookies
Orange biscuit dough
- 90 g Wholehweat flour
- 10 g cornflour
- 50 g butter
- 25 g cane sugar
- 3-4 drops orange essence
- 1-2 tsp milk
Orange buttercream filling
- 25 g butter
- 50 g powdered cane sugar
- 1 tbsp milk powder
- 2 drops orange essence
Preparation of orange biscuits
- First, cream the butter and sugar till nice and fluffy. Add orange essence and mix well.
- Next, sift the whole wheat flour and corn flour for 2-3 times.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar. Add a teaspoon of milk or so to form the dough. Just bring it all together to form the dough, do no knead.
- Cover and keep the dough for half an hour at room temperature. incase the dough is sticky you may keep in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Take half portion of the dough and roll it to 1/8 inch thickness between two parchment paper.
- Cut out circles with a cookie cutter and make impressions as you like. I made using this.I made impressions on half of the cookies which i kept on the top of the sandwich and the rest of the cookies I kept it plain. You can make impressions on all the cookies if you like.
- Place the biscuits on the baking tray lined with a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree celcius for 12-15 minutes. Do not overbake them as they will turn hard on cooling.
Preparation of orange butter cream
- Cream the butter and sugar till nice and creamy.
- Add in few drops of orange essence and mix.
Filling the orange biscuits with orange butter cream
- Once the biscuits have cooled down sandwich two biscuits together. Place the biscuit without design on the base, put a dollop of cream and spread or use a pipping bag filled with cream. Make all the biscuits in the same way.
- Allow the cookies to set for a couple of hours and then store them in an air tight container.
- You may use icing sugar, regular powder sugar if you like.
- The amount of sugar used here is just right, if you like it sweeter feel free to increase the sugar.
- The beautiful orange flavour comes from this Brazilian orange essence which makes it perfect orange flavoured biscuits.
- In case the biscuits become soft after adding the butter cream, store it in the fridge.
Nothing makes me happier than seeing your creations 🙂 when you try out the recipe do share your pictures with me on social media. Also, take a few minutes to rate the recipe and leave your feedback in the comment section below. That would keep me motivated to create more useful content for you 🙂 Thank you very much. Happy Baking! 🙂