Whole wheat cake rusk
Rusk biscuits were another childhood favorite like the Madras Tea shop style butter biscuits. I grew up in Chennai but my Dida bari (maternal grand mother’s house) was in Faridabad. We used to spend our summer vacations their. The delicious savory as well as the sweet snacks were to die for. One such favorite was cake rusk. I do not use maida anymore and that’s why I made whole wheat cake rusk. I didn’t find any taste difference in the whole wheat cake rusk from the original version.
You might like cranberry and pistachio biscotti.
How to make whole wheat cake rusk
- Organic Whole wheat flour 1 cup
- Organic raw sugar 1/3 cup
- Eggs 2
- Butter 2 tablespoon
- Oil 2 tablespoon
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder 3/4 teaspoon
- Pure vanilla extract 3/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
- Milk 1/4 cup approximately to adjust the batter consistency.
- Beat the oil and butter with sugar till the mixture is creamy. You can use a whisk or a hand blender for this.
- Add one egg at time and mix well. No need to beat the eggs for a long time, just blend it for a minute.
- Add vanilla extract, cardamom powder and turmeric powder.
- Sieve the wheat flour with baking powder once and add this to the batter in batches alternating with a tablespoon of milk.
- Mix the batter well with a silicone spatula until well combined. The batter will be thick. In case it’s too thick, add milk to the adjust the consistency.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking dish and bake in a preheated microwave convection oven at 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done unmould the cake after 10 minutes on to a wire rack and allow it to cool down.
- Once it comes to room temperature (in an hour or so) cut slices of the cake and place on a parchment lined baking tray or a perforated pizza pan. I used the pizza pan which helped in baking from both sides without the need to flip it. In case you use a regular baking tray you will have to flip it half way and also turn the tray in case of baking in an OTG.
- Bake the biscuits at 160 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until nice and crisp.
- Cool the rusks on wire rack and store in an airtight container. This will stay good for 20 days.
- Baking time and temperature as per your oven.
- You can use either 1/4 cup butter or oil or combination of both as the above recipe.
- Add milk in tablespoons to adjust the batter consistency.
- As I do not use artificial colors I have used turmeric powder for giving a nice yellow colour.
Shop for products
Perforated pizza pan