Back with another delicious recipe with cherries. I was thinking what else to make with cherries after baking the rose buns with cottage cheese and cherry compote. I didn’t want to simply use cherries as topping for dessert, I wanted to bake something with it. A chocolate cake was on my to do list for a long time. You must be wondering what’s so special to bake a chocolate cake. For me it’s special, I’m a chocoholic but I avoid baking with chocolate because I end up eating the whole thing on the same day! My hubby isn’t a chocolate fan so that’s all the more reason I don’t bake because I get to bake the cake and have it all by myself.
Since I hadn’t baked a chocolate cake for a long time I thought this is the best time to try out chocolate cake with cherries. Surprisingly my hubby liked this one and saved me from eating the whole thing!
A rich dark chocolate cake which is soft, moist and absolutely divine with cherry on the top!(literally) The chopped cherries in the cake add a slight tanginess which goes very well with chocolate.
- Organic Whole wheat 1/2 cup
- Powdered oats 1/2 cup
- Organic raw sugar 3/4 cup
- Cocoa powder 1/4 cup
- Chopped dark chocolate 1/4 cup
- Pitted and chopped fresh cherries 1/3 cup
- Eggs 2
- Oil 1/4 cup
- Boiling hot water 1/4 cup
- Warm milk 1/2 cup
- Pure vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt a pinch
- Sift together the flours, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder 3-4 times.
- Beat the eggs well. To that add sugar and beat well. Add vanilla extract and Oil, mix them.
- Add the flour mixture alternating with milk, fold them lightly until they are incorporated, do not over mix.
- Add the boiling hot water to the batter and mix well.
- Add pitted cherries and dark chocolate chunks, fold them gently.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 30-40 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Baking time and temperature as per your oven.
- Boiling hot water enhances the flavor of chocolate.
- You can use any nut of your choice if you do not have cherries.